Diamond Jewelry Fun Facts
Elegant, exquisite, beautiful, and brilliant. These are the characteristics that make diamonds one of the most desired gemstones in the world. Apart from their physical qualities, there is so much more to diamonds than meets the eye. Here we have rounded up some of the most interesting facts you need to know about the world’s most sought-after stone.
10 DIAMOND FACTS
1. Diamonds have been around for a very long time, 3 billion years to be exact. That is way before the birth of dinosaurs!
2. Diamonds are made of carbon atoms that crystallize deep within the Earth’s crust under extreme pressure and heat. These diamonds are then carried to the Earth’s surface through deep volcanic eruptions.
3. The term diamond comes from the Greek word “Adamas” meaning invincible. This is no surprise as diamonds are one of the hardest substances known to man. In fact, they are 58x harder than anything on the planet. This means that the only way to cut a diamond is with another diamond.
4. Diamonds have something called “diamond fire.” It is when a diamond acts as a prism that displays a spectrum of colors when placed under light.
5. Not all diamonds are white. There are brown and yellow diamonds too. The more rare colors are pink, blue, orange, green, and violet. Another rare but popular color is black, which we actually carry in our stores!
6. The ancient Romans and Greeks believed that diamonds were fragments of falling stars or tears cried by the Gods.
7. The first known diamond engagement ring was given by Archduke Maxmillian of Austria to Mary of Burgundy in 1477.
8. Ancient cultures believed that diamonds gave the wearer strength, protection, and courage. They were also believed to have healing properties that cured both physical and mental illnesses.
9. The largest diamond was discovered in 1905. Mined in Cullinan, South Africa, it is called the Cullinan diamond and weighs a staggering 3,106 carats.
10. There are diamonds in outer space. In 2007, scientists discovered a diamond that is ten billion-trillion-trillion carats. They called it Lucy after the Beatles’ song “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.”
Given this rich and fascinating history, it is clear why diamonds are considered to be so precious. If you don’t own one yet it is high time for you to purchase your own diamond jewelry or better yet, a diamond jewelry set! Head to the nearest Miladay location today or browse our website and shop our wide selection of diamond jewelry. With 55 years of experience, we provide only top-quality diamonds and we take pride in being one of the most trusted diamond jewelry stores in the Philippines.